The newly renovated archives reading room reopened on March 31, with seats for sixteen more researchers--and their laptops and cameras. It can now hold fifty-five researchers: forty of those working with paper-based collections, eight computer workstations for those using digital collections, six microfilm readers, and a DVD viewing station. More computer workstations and microfilm readers may be added in the future.
Thanks to a 2013 grant from the National Film Preservation Foundation, five unique amateur films from the William P. Miller papers have been preserved. Those films, made from approximately 1943 to 1945, feature footage of the North African and European theaters during World War II.
A work of art by Belgian artist Floris Jespers was unveiled today at the Leuven Museum as part of its exhibition Ravaged: Art and Culture in Times of Conflict, commemorating the centenary of the beginning of World War I and the devastation it brought to Leuven.
One significant consequence of the revolution in Russia in 1917 was the mass exodus of opponents of the Bolshevik regime: the first mass political emigration of the twentieth century. The fate of these émigrés continues to interest historians and other researchers to this day; bearing in mind growing trends in international history and migration studies, it will continue to do so in the future.
- Amateur Color Films from World War II Now Available
- A Century of Change: China 1911–2011
- New Collection Sheds Light on Postwar Okinawa
- Baltic States 1939–1945
- Revolutions in Eastern Europe: The Rise of Democracy, 1989–1990
- Javier Benedet’s Spanish Civil War Collection
- Letters and diaries of Chinese political activist Lin Zhao opened at the Hoover Institution Archives
- Echoes of the 1956 Hungarian Exodus: Judit Brody and Thomas Kovari Correspondence Donated to Hoover Archives
- Museum of Russian Culture - List of Available Collections
- Troubled Images: Posters and Images of the Northern Ireland Conflict from the Linen Hall Library, Belfast
April 11, 2014
- Chiang Kai-shek diaries
- Harold Melvin Agnew motion picture film
- Stanley Kuhl Hornbeck papers
- Poland Ministerstwo Spraw Zagranicznych records
- Herbert Hoover subject collection
- RFE/RL corporate records
- Department of State miscellaneous records
- Philip C. McConnell papers
- Vitalii Leonidovich Kataev papers
- Okhrana records