Raj De is a partner in the Washington DC office of Mayer Brown, where he leads the Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice and co-leads the National Security practice. Raj focuses his practice on cutting-edge legal and policy issues at the nexus of technology, national security, law enforcement and privacy. Raj has held senior appointments in the White House, the Department of Justice and the Department of Defense. Raj returned to Mayer Brown in 2015 after serving as General Counsel at the United States National Security Agency (NSA).
As General Counsel of the NSA, Raj served as the agency’s chief legal officer and senior advisor to the NSA Director. He supervised an office of approximately 100 lawyers and staff that handled litigation and provided legal advice across a range of issue areas, including foreign intelligence, cybersecurity, government contracts, intellectual property, research and technology, administrative law, government ethics and pending legislation. Prior to his service at the NSA, Raj served in the White House as Staff Secretary and Deputy Assistant to the President of the United States, and at the Department of Justice as Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Policy. Raj started his career at the Department of Justice, where he was a trial lawyer in the Antitrust Division under the Attorney General’s Honors Program.
Raj has also had significant congressional experience over the course of his career. He served as Counsel to the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the “9/11 Commission”), and as Counsel to the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Raj also served as General Counsel to the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism, a bipartisan blue-ribbon panel charged with making recommendations to the President and Congress.
Raj has received a number of honors for his public service, including the following:
- US Attorney General’s John Marshall Award (Outstanding Legal Achievement for Preparing or Handling Legislation)
- Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Civilian Service, awarded by the Secretary of Defense
- National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal, awarded by the Director of National Intelligence
- National Security Agency Director’s Distinguished Service Medal
- National Security Agency Intelligence Under Law Award
Raj serves as an advisor to various public and private institutions, including:
- Member, Aspen Homeland Security Group
- Board of Directors, The Constitution Project
- Board of Advisors, NYU School of Law Center on Law and Security
- Member, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security
- Member, Central Intelligence Agency General Counsel’s External Advisory Board
Raj clerked for the Honorable A. Wallace Tashima of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Pasadena, California. He graduated magna cum laude from both Harvard Law School and Harvard College.