Researchers, publishers, and other users of any work from the Hoover Institution Library & Archives collections are responsible for compliance with copyright law. Below you will find copyright information for certain collections, as well as information about US copyright law and Stanford University's copyright and fair use resource website, and copyright infringement and notifications.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions, as well as many other uses, of copyrighted materials. Many works in the collections of the Hoover Institution Library & Archives are protected by copyright. Under certain specific provisions of the U.S. copyright law, the Library & Archives may make and provide researchers with copies of works from the collections. These copies are for private research and study only. For more information about copyright and fair use, please visit the US Copyright Office and Stanford University Libraries
Use Of Copies
Whether the Hoover Institution Library & Archives supplies the copy of a work – or a researcher makes the copy – researchers, publishers, and other users of any work from the Library & Archives collections are responsible for compliance with copyright law. Copyright compliance may include determining whether a work is copyrighted, identifying the copyright owner, evaluating fair use, and securing permission when needed. The professional staff of the Hoover Institution Library & Archives may help identify some works in the collection where the copyright is held by Hoover or Stanford University.
Report alleged copyright infringement if you are a rights holder and believe that the inclusion of certain specific materials on the Digital Collections website violates your rights. Send a notification of alleged copyright infringement to the Hoover Institution Library & Archives.
Call, fax, or email/mail with duplicate notifications to:
Information Security Office
Information Security Office
505 Broadway, 3, 8819
Redwood City, CA 94063
434 Galvez Mall
Stanford CA 94305-6010
Call: 1 (650)723-3563
Fax: 1 (650)725-3445
Elements of Notifications
When you notify us of the alleged copyright infringement, please be sure to include the following information:
- a description of the copyrighted work that is the subject of the claimed infringement (if multiple works are being infringed at a single site, a representative list of such works at that site is adequate);
- a description of the infringing material and information sufficient to permit Stanford to locate the material, including the URL where it is located;
- contact information for you, including your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, or its agent, or the law;
- a statement by you, signed under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that you have the authority to enforce the copyrights that are claimed to be infringed; and
- a physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on its behalf.
Failure to include all of the above-listed information may result in a delay of the processing of your complaint. Stanford will terminate the online privileges of users who infringe the copyright of others.