This weekly newsletter collects articles, reports and other media from across the world to illustrate the actions and behaviors of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
The newsletter arose from the need to provide transparency to the citizens of liberal democracies of the scope and scale of China’s sharp power initiatives and the harms those activities cause to the Chinese people and the rest of the world.
As Xi Jinping stressed to the Party’s leadership in late 2017, “Government, the military, society and schools, north, south, east and west – the party leads them all.” This newsletter takes the Party’s role seriously and examines the impact on the world of the Party’s policies as they tighten their one-party rule.
- Must Read / Watch/ Listen - Articles and reports that stand out as particularly illustrative of the harmful activities of the Chinese Communist Party.
- Authoritarianism - Articles that illuminate the lack of personal freedom and political liberty under the Chinese Communist Party.
- Cyber and Information Technology - The Chinese Communist Party seeks to control information technology as a means to shape and censor the communications and opinions of its own people, as well as the communications of individuals beyond China's borders.
- Environmental Harms - China is the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gases and generates enormous pollution and environmental degradation. This section highlights the activities carried out by entities controlled by the Chinese Communist Party that harm our environment.
- Foreign Interference and Coercion - The Chinese Communist Party wages a series of foreign interference and coercion campaigns and this section provides articles and reports explaining those actions, as well as the damage they do abroad.
- Human Rights and Religious Persecution - This section documents the myriad abuses that the Chinese Communist Party commits against its own people in violation of its commitments under the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Industrial Policies and Economic Espionage - This section highlights articles and reports on the harmful impacts of the commercial and economic policies employed by the Chinese Communist Party.
- Military and Security Threats - Articles on the comprehensive military modernization and expansion program undertaken by the Chinese Communist Party, which supports an increasingly aggressive foreign policy and threatens the safety of China's neighbors.
- One Belt, One Road Strategy - The section describes how the Chinese Communist Party employs its foreign infrastructure and development program to further its strategic interests abroad and in international institutions.
- Opinion Pieces - This section collects opinion pieces from across the world commenting on the harms caused by the activities of the Chinese Communist Party and provides insight into the various solutions that experts and leaders suggest we pursue to protect our interests.
This publication is part of the Project on China's Global Sharp Power. It builds on the Hoover Institution's highly successful report, China's Influence and American Interests, to track the multiple ways that the Chinese Communist party-state is trying to penetrate and sway democracies and global institutions and norms.