About the Building
Over the last several decades, the Hoover Institution has experienced significant growth in size, scope and influence. As a consequence, Hoover requires additional space to house its scholars and administrators, and to convene policy conferences and workshops.
The two-story, 55,000 gsf David and Joan Traitel Building will add new capacity in both offices and conferencing facilities in order to meet this demand for policy-oriented research and dissemination. The top floor will house the administrative headquarters of the Hoover Institution. The ground floor will be a major conferencing center, featuring the 400-seat Hauck Auditorium, named in honor of Everett “Sparky” Hauck and his wife, Jane, and Blount Hall, a dining-multipurpose room for 440, named in honor of Bill Blount.
Guests will be welcomed through a transparent, glass pavilion that will look out on the Hoover Tower and lead to a semi-private courtyard named in honor of Art Hall and his wife, Joanne. An arcade will be constructed along Crothers Way to connect the new facility to the existing Hoover buildings.
Designed by William Rawn Associates of Boston with help from Cody Anderson Wasney of Palo Alto, the new building is expected to open in the summer of 2017.
Building Event Rental Information
From the Inside
Hauck Auditorium seats 400 with comfortable, theater-style chairs with armrest, leg room, floor-fed climate control, and lap pad (Wheelchair accessible and removable chairs also available).
The auditorium is equipped with state-of-the-art A/V capabilities for presenting, recording, and live streaming.
The room was built with acoustic wood ceilings carry excellent sound throughout the space
William Blount Hall
Decorated with posters from Hoover’s world-renowned archival collection, Blount Hall is a spacious dining and multipurpose room that seats 440 guests. The room opens to the building’s outdoor courtyard and Welcoming Pavilion/reception area, offering plenty of natural light and easy access to other spaces. Rental includes use of designer dining chairs and 66-inch round tables.
- Seats 440 in rounds
- Adjacent plating area and full catering kitchen (see amenities section below for more details)
- Conveniently located event office
- A/V system
- 2 built-in line array speakers, expansion capability for subwoofer and fill speakers
- 4 HD cameras
- 2 recessed ceiling projectors
- 2 drop-down projector screens
- 6 handheld and 8 lapel mics
- Separate A/V control room
- Optional modular stage
- 44 round tables and 440 chairs included in rental
- Glass folding doors open to courtyard via East Arcade
- West doors open to Pavilion/reception area
From the Inside
Blount Hall seats 440 in rounds; 44 round tables and 440 chairs are included in rental
In Blount Hall is a conveniently located event office and adjacent plating area and full catering kitchen
Glass folding doors open to courtyard via East Arcade and west doors open to Pavilion/reception area
This glass-walled room is adjacent to the building’s main Lasuen Mall entrance and lobby area. The pavilion opens up to the building’s semi-private courtyard and serves as pre-function space for the building’s dining/multipurpose room and auditorium.
- A/V system
- 2 built-in speakers
- Multimedia screen can stream audio/video as overflow monitor or be preloaded with content
- 3 handheld and 2 lapel mics
- iPad control system
- East doors hold-open to allow indoor/outdoor access for events
- Adjacent reception desk
- Lounge style seating included by default (can be altered only with prior approval)
From the Inside
The Welcoming Pavilion includes lounge style seating that can be altered only with prior approval
It is adjacent reception desk and the east doors hold-open to allow indoor/outdoor access for events
The Welcoming Pavilion has an A/V system with 2 built-in speakers, music playback capability, and iPad control system
This beautiful outdoor space, sponsored by Hoover supporters Joanne and Arthur Hall, sits at the foot of Hoover Tower and looks out to Serra Mall and Tanner Fountain. It features comfortable patio-style seating, café tables and chairs, and easy access to the building’s indoor event areas.
- Capacity for 500 guests
- Included patio seating (can be altered only with advanced notice)
- Additional seating available on surrounding seat walls